Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Wet Weather Wear

Success at last, my fellow bloggers and bloggites! For nearly two years I have seriously contemplated purchasing rain boots (ever since Dods bought hers) and at long last, I am victorious. You see, there were several criteria I had set forth while contemplating this object and today was the first day when they all came together and said, "Jen, just get the boots."
Criterion #1: I wasn't quite sure that I actually
needed them. I'm a "let me see if I can do without" type girl (most of the time) and kept trying to talk myself out of it with, "wet sneakers dry quickly" or "how often does it rain in SF?"
-This morning it wasn't too difficult to convince myself that life would be all that more enjoyable with guaranteed dry feet. Especially with a week of rain predicted.
Criterion #2: I just wasn't in to spending $70+ on a clothing item that I would wear approximately 20 days out of the year. I've tried not to fill my wardrobe with too many unnecessary items (again, the "make do" theory comes to play) and couldn't justify the expense. The only boots I had encountered in the $20-40 range were a.)ugly/undesirable and/or b.) not in my size.
-Today (in my determination) I trooped out to DSW Shoes and found these guys for a mere $33+! Definitely doable, maybe slightly on the spendy side but not excessive.
Criterion #3: I had to like the color/pattern. In my two years of contemplating rain boots I have found a disproportionate amount of plaid boots. While fine for others, I am not a fan. Plaid just seems so...dull and trendy. (Forgive me if you have plaid boots!) A far too serious pattern to be wearing on a dreary day. Polka-dots are fine, black
Wellington-likes are classy, fish are cliche, and bees are cute. If I was going to take the plunge I wanted something distinctive, cheering (yet not overly so), not too youthful, something with character, and perhaps just the teensiest bit sassy. [Note: This was seemingly the most difficult criterion to fulfill. Really, what is it with all those plaid boots??]
- There's the picture. Need I say more?

I am so pleased with my long-awaited purchase that I am very nearly tempted to write a poem...
Ode to a Boot (or "Wet Weather Wear")

For years (2) I have searched.
Through stores (7) I have lurched.
Where are you, my wet weather wear?

Soggy feet go squish, squish.
A boot for rain is what I wish!
Where for art thou, Wet Weather Wear?

Could it be...?
Is it she...?
My Wet Weather Wear!

There you sat upon the shelf,
as if waiting for myself.
Rain boots!

You weren't too spendy.
You weren't too trendy,
My own wet weather gear.

I wore you hesitantly.
I wore you proudly,
Wet Weather Wear.

Oh, boot for rain long-awaited,
the clouds have since dissipated!
The wet weather, where?

3 comments:

  1. I love your boots! Now I'm tempted to get some as well, since Oxford is going to be experiencing some wet weather in the next week or so. But I am also a "let me see if I can do without" person, so it might be a couple of years before I also take the plunge . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEACH!! I love you, you are hilarious. And those are some snazzy boots which will make quite a fancy appearance all over town. I'm jealous. I need to find a pair too, but they will be most likely black and rubber.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cute and very necessary in this crazy storm!

    ReplyDelete