Friday, October 2, 2009

I should be well please if I were to be called "Agnes"

David Copperfield. I would hardly have called it lovely when I first made it my task to read the novel. But how dear the characters have become! And how well Dicken's finishes it off. Ever so gently and simply, just like Agnes.


I have finally turned the last page, read the last chapter and have figured out who Number Twenty-Eight was. (I confess that putting the "Mr." before Littimer completely threw me off.") I had to renew the book twice, but I've finished it! I've diligently taken it to and fro on the Bart and I'm afraid that it will be returned to the Library a little worse for the wear, but ever so much more loved! I admit that at a point or two I thought of putting it down, but I knew I had to finish it. (An unfinished book is a true tragedy!) There were certainly scenes with Miss Dartle that I could hardle go more than two or three lines without throwing the book down in exasperation. The funny thing is that Dickens' seemed to understand how difficult it would be to get through the book. David's aunt remarks to him, "I never thought, when I used to read books, what work it was to write them.” David replies, "It’s work enough to read them sometimes." But I have struggled onward and am quite pleased.


The last chapters are such a delightful reunion of all the best characters. Dickens' does such a wonderful job at tying up the ends and gathering all together, so that you should hardly know the suffering and struggles that have taken place in the last 800 pages. No, that's not right. Rather, the characters are made the wiser and more mature for their struggles. They have carried their burdens admirably and have triumphed in the end. They show how one's choices and attitudes in life can make a huge difference no matter the evils that befall them. It's true that a few of the choices were regrettable but necessary to learn their lesson.


I can not leave off without saying a thing or two about Agnes. She is...certainly the type of woman that I think I should aspire to me. Though she might not have flash and pizazz she's true-blue, steady and wise in her gentle way. I honestly wish I could say more about her, but then I feel it would cheapen her character. There is one quite lovely sentence that Dickens' write about her: "Clasped in my embrace, I held the source of every worthy aspiration I had ever had, the centre of myself, the circle of my life, my own, my wife, my love of whom was founded on a rock!” What an honor it would be bear such a noble name --- Agnes!

No comments:

Post a Comment