Today I was listening to The Voyage of the Dawn Treader from the Chronicles of Narnia. For those who know the story (and those who don't, but really ought to), the voyagers come across many different types of strange and wondrous islands, and one in particular, which I believe is called "Dream Island" or something of the sort. They never actually see the island for there is a dark, impenetrable mist, where even the brightest lamps look weak. Out of the darkness they hear a voice crying out, imploring them for help. They take a man on board who tells them it is the island of dreams, but not the dreams that you wish would come true. These are the dreams that you try very hard to forget, the ones that make you nervous about falling back to sleep again.
This brought back to mind one night very long ago...
I don’t remember much of the dream, just a little man standing in a corner (or maybe I was the one in the corner?), looking at me with a countenance and expression that was purely evil. Even at five years old I knew that it was direct from the devil himself. Even now I get a sort of icky feeling in my stomach when I think about it. I woke up terrified. It’s not the sort of terrifying when you scream or cry, but is paralyzing. You feel as though your thoughts can’t hardly move from the object that has brought on this terror, you’ve forgotten how to move your legs, and you don’t even remember what it is to speak. It’s the terror that comes from being confronted by something that is truly Evil.
Anyhow, I was terrified enough to brave the dark and go to Mom and Dad’s room. I climbed up between them and Mom woke up right away. Dad tried to wake up, I think, but he fell back to sleep pretty fast. I whispered that I had had a bad dream and I might have even mentioned that I thought the devil had been in it. I don’t remember much of what Mom and Dad said, but I do remember praying with them about it.
That night I learned that I could take all my cares to God and that no matter what scared me I could take it to Him. I think that might have been the night when Mom took my hand in hers and showed me that God had promised he always be with me. After all, it was written right there in my hand. There was one word for each finger, “I.Will. Never. Leave. You.” That has stayed with me all those years. What has also stayed with me is the knowledge that, while God is for me, who can be against me? Prayer is a refuge in times of trouble. We can be real with God and tell him that we’re awfully scared and would He please just help us through.
I will always remember that night as the most terrifying dream I will ever had and as one of the dearer childhood memories because I learned what it was to take my fears to my God who will never forsake me.
"Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall." -Psalm 55:22
No comments:
Post a Comment