Sunday, January 9, 2011

Well...it's lemons in a pie, I guess

So. The lemon pie was made, baked, and taste-tested. Verdict? Needs work. I should have known it might not be as easy as I thought when I didn't see any pictures of the finished product on smittenkitchen's website. I suppose, however, that I really can't lay all the blame on her.

What went wrong you ask? First of all, I didn't make enough crust to cover the top completely. I'm not sure what went wrong. All my crusts were turning out so beautifully while I was on vacation. I thought I had gotten it down! Second, I forgot the egg-wash. Why am I not surprised? I can never seems to remember it. Third, my oven has a very unique personality that I momentarily overlooked. In other words, it gets real hot real fast.

Conclusion? The crust got way over done, it did not look pretty, and I may not actually like lemon in my pie. The consistency was just a bit...rich. Too much sugar.

Oh well, what's an adventure for after all? I can now say I've made a lemon pie. I think it was quite successful.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry it didn't turn out the way you envisioned . . . I love the idea of lemon pie but now that I'm thinking about it, I don't know if I've ever had a delicious one. I might try to make my Chess Pie recipe but with some lemon juice/zest--I bet that would work well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an unrelated 3rd party to the pie-making process, I can attest that it was, actually, better than I expected. Because, see, it was -lemon - pie, not like gelatinous merengue pies.

    It was sweet, Jen, but that bothered me not. Just too much egginess for me... but I did manage to have my fair share of slices :)

    And, I agree, baking in our "Automatic Oven" is an adventure!

    ReplyDelete