Sunday, November 1, 2009

New beginnings!

It's a new day, the first of the month, and it's still the weekend. Not too mention that the day is gorgeously sunny and I'm going to check out a new (to me) used book store. Could anything be better than that? I seriously love the beginnings of months. I don't know what it is but somehow I feel full of possibilities on the first of the month. And November 1st just seems to particularly be a harbinger of possibility and celebration. It signals the beginning of a season full of celebration: Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, my birthday, the advent season, and Christmas! I know. I mentioned Christmas twice, but it is such a lovely season. It's my favorite time of the whole year as it's filled with true magic...but that's a subject for a different time. We were speaking of November 1st.

Today is the first day in a long time that I've had All Saints Day off. Not that having All Saints Day off means much to me beyond the sentimental value you that I used to get it off during all my grade school years. (Living in a primarily Catholic country will do that.) Somehow the fact that I have it "off" is just...fun! I know it's just a typical weekend, but I get it off nonetheless and I feel like I beat The Man in the bargain.

And I ought not forget that today is the only day in the whole year when I appreciate daylight savings as I have just "gained an hour," which I will then promptly loose again in the spring. I will never fully understand the use of government dictating time. Yes, please do try and argue with me about it because I'm pretty sure you'll never convince me. Time is time and there's nothing anyone can do about it in the end.

Back to happier subjects: new beginnings! There's just something that makes me happy about the 1st of the month. Perhaps it's like Anne Shirley says, " Tomorrow is new, with no mistakes in it."

1 comment:

  1. heh, did you celebrate velasciones for all saint's day in the cemetary when you were in guatemala?

    ReplyDelete