Sunday, August 1, 2010

Skillet Rehab

I recently inherited a cast iron skillet from a friend who was moving to the other coast. I'd been thinking about getting one, thanks to some of Jenna's tempting recipes (jennaseverythingblog pan-fried cumin sweet potatoes). I was more than pleased when my friend asked me if I was interested in one. She did forewarn me that it had gotten a bit rusty, but who am I to be afraid of a challenge? Bring on the rusty cookware!

Having had little to no experience with cast iron ware, I donned my frilly apron and plunked down at the computer to check out what solutions would flow forth from that good ol' online resource, Google. It turns out that it's rather simple really! All you need is:
1 rusty cast iron skillet (picture not included)
vegetable oil
lots o' salt
hot hot water
something to scrub with
a fabulous apron
Essential ingredients necessary for 1 Skillet Rehab Session pictured above.

I zealously scrubbed away using a scoring pad, though the website had said that one could use paper towels. Within about 5 minutes that pan was as black as black can be! I rinsed away the oil and salt using a minimal amount of dish soap and lots of hot water. I patted it dry and set it on a burner turned to low to dry. Behold! One beautiful skillet, oiled for seasoning:


It also turns out that it's super easy to season a skillet. For years I thought that "seasoning" was some abstruse activity that only the most knowledgeable of chefs could attain properly. But, in fact, you too can season that skillet to perfection! You just lightly oil it up and stick it in the oven There's the little guy seasoning away in the oven:
So bloggers, bloggites and bloggees here's my conclusion: Be ye not afraid of cast iron skillets, pans, and otherware! Should it rust, thou shalt be provided with a charming Sunday afternoon activity filled with a sense of accomplishment and oily fingers. And just think of all the delightful delicacies that will come forth from said skillet.

***********
Did you know there was an entire blog dedicated to cast iron skillets? http://blackirondude.blogspot.com/ This is serious business folks!

Need help rehabilitating your cast iron ware? Check out eHow.com!

3 comments:

  1. Jen, you are going to LOVE that skillet. I can't wait to see what you make in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love cast iron anything! I don't know why. I guess I just feel so rustic and so 'knowing' when I use cast iron. Like I have the cooking secrets of the ages. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenn! That skillet looks beautiful...like something out of Paula Dean's kitchen. You are amazing. I am so glad that the skillet is in good hands now and will be treated with the care and respect that it deserves. I MISS You!

    ReplyDelete