Wednesday, August 18, 2010

some fluff

My apologies for not updating in a while. I’ve been kept quite busy contemplating important topics such as: the innate desire in children to run after birds in parks, the air of nostalgia that surrounds carousels, and when to make almond feta again.


Surely you’ve noticed that whenever you’re in anything that resembles a park and there are children and birds present, one inevitably will see a child doggedly chasing the feathered creation. (This may or may not include giggling, shouts of delight, or roaring.) What is it about birds that cause a kid to run after them? Is it, perhaps, that the child has a need to exercise some latent predatory feelings? Did I ever run madly after pigeons when I was a li’l tike? Where does the word “tike” come from? And does anyone really know what it means?


Whoa! Pull those reins in a bit, Jen. You’re talking about bird chasing. ...Hmmm, is the act of considering the topic itself an indicator that you need to blog more and spend more time contemplating deeper subjects? Are there one too many bats in that belfry? Have you perhaps dropped a marble or two and began to slip on them? Perhaps not playing with a full deck, eh?


Okay, while we ignore that previous paragraph let’s talk about carousels. Don’t they just seem to be the embodiment of nostalgia? There’s something about the organ-y music, glitzy horses, and children standing in line holding a parent’s hand that says, “Nostalgia.” Maybe I hear it because every time I hear carousel music it makes me think of the scenes inCharade where Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn visit the park. So classic, so vintage...thus nostalgic. And then there’s the carousel in The Sting. Again with the classy vintage (how can it not be with Robert Redford and Paul Newman as the stars?). So here’s how it works: Carousels > essential to backgrounds in Charade and The Sting > amazing actors > classy > filmed before I was born > vintage = the essence of Nostalgia.


Logic was never my strong suit.


Should I make the almond feta cheese this weekend?

1 comment:

  1. The answer is yes. Make the almond feta cheese. And then, overnight me some. Mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete