Alan Bradley's third Flavia de Luce mystery came out earlier this year. I managed to get my hands on it after being 20th on the list at the library. Since I had to wait so long for it I decided to reread the 1st two novels. And it was such fun to reread The Sweetness... I really enjoyed the development of the characters and just the originality of it all. I think it may be one of my top favorite reads.Now for A Red Herring. I have to be honest: I was a little disappointed with this one. There were way too many new characters and Bradley seemed to have rushed through the writing. And somehow Flavia lost a little bit of her rambunctiousness. I don't know, it just seemed to lack a little je ne sais quoi. But don't get me wrong! Despite the slight feeling of disappointment it was still a decent read and entertaining. It certainly keeps you reading and the ending sort of jumps out at you.
Exciting news for Flavia fans! Bradley's fourth book, "I Am Half-Sick of Shadows," is being released November 1st of this year.
YES!! I can't wait for the 4th book. Honestly, it took me a few chapters to get into "Red Herring," but I think that's just because the style is unique and I have to adapt to it or something. As soon as I had 30-40 pages under my belt, I loved it.
ReplyDelete