And today is no exception.
It seems inevitable that some sort of stress arises on Fridays. But why does everything tend to go to pieces on Friday? Are people trying to get everything done that they should have done earlier in the week? Do they choose to call me on Friday because: 1. it wasn't urgent on Monday (there's always Tuesday), 2. they forgot about it on Tuesday and again on Wednesday, 3. they were too busy on Thursday, and 4. they can't wait until next week (though apparentally they could wait until the end of the current work week)? Poor Friday is taken advantage of, in that people won't be back in the office for another two whole days; so cram it all in while you can!
I generally arrive to work so hopeful on Fridays, cheered by the thought that the weekend cometh, energized to get things accomplished and out of the way for the weekend, and just plain ol' lovin' the fact that it's Friday and I can dress casually with good excuse. By 4:30 I tend to be gasping for breath, feeling generally rumpled by all the little fires that have flared up, and mentally/emotionally ready for a break.
A few Fridays ago I got an e-mail from our Member Services department at 4:30 pm saying that we just got a case from the DMHC (Department of Managed Health Care). Ick. These case are generally born from a grievance that I have worked on, the member isn't happy with the resolution we have provided and they decide to take it to the next level. I don't mind that the member chose to do this, after all, it is their health that's involved and I'm fairly confident we resolved the case to the best of our abilities. But sometimes we just can't do anything to make the world of managed health care perfect. What I do mind is being told at 4:30 on a Friday that I have to send a response within five days. Calendar days. This response entails pulling together requested documents, uncovering every detail related to the case, writing a detailed letter, going through the EOC (Evidence of Coverage), etc. Anyhow, not only did I find out about this at 4:30, but I was supposed to leave that day at 4:45. The nurse supervisor and I decided this could wait until Monday.
Today was filled with more fun Friday moments. Just a few seconds ago our pharmacy technician came over to give me a heads up that a member called yet again concerned about his medications. He wants to know why his wife got more of a presription than he did. In the last year and a half he has filed 3 grievances, each one about medication and for each one we stress that he should talk to his doctor. It is not appropriate for us to be saying how much of anything he should be prescribed. That's one. Two is a voicemail from an ex-member who was beginning the process of getting a piece of equipment but was termed before they could get it. I won't go into detail, but I think we've gotten that undercontrol. Three, we have a member who requested a state hearing and we're pulling together documents for that. To top it all of an announcement came over the PA saying there was an emergency on the 12th floor and would floor wardens begin evacuation plans. These anouncements tend to throw us all in a frenzy. Some people say we should go, others saying we should wait to be told what to do by our safety team, and most of us stand there just hesitating because we know we're supposed to wait for instructions but it is so fun to evacuate.
It's only 12:30 now and that's not even half of what I've accomplished this morning. Can't wait to see what this afternoon holds.
P.S. Just a little after thought: maybe people tend to lose their heads a bit because it's Friday.
No comments:
Post a Comment