This past Tuesday I wore my black and white-of-a-sort dress to work. It's probably about the 2nd or 3rd time I've worn it. Each time I've gotten a few compliments on it but Tuesday...gees! Off the top of my head I can think of 3 people who did your basic "I like your dress/Nice dress," one woman wanted to know where I had gotten it (I still can't remember the name of that department store), I got a rather enthusiastic "I love your dress!" from the receptionist and some one who I hardly talk to complimented the dress as well. (Note: Probably about half of these compliments came from people who complimented me the last time I wore the dress.) My goodness. I know the dress is nice, but...
Maybe I should give you a little description of the dress since I don't have a picture on hand. I got it in a department store last December because I needed a nice dress for a January wedding. The cloth is very comfortable and flowy, doesn't wrinkle, drapes nicely (no idea what it's actually called, but it's definitely synthetic). It's a black and white pattern of your basic hibiscus-looking flower, it's a large pattern (doesn't make sense, does it?). There are a lot of little details that make it sort of fun and interesting: a collar, empire waist, going from the collar to the waist are three medium-sized, plain black buttons, a black satin ribbon around the waist and ties to the side of the front (or where ever you want it), short sleeves that are slightly puffy but have a, um, a... loopy-di-loo?, and starting from the empire waist in the front it's sort of pleated. The overall effect is rather nice but nothing particularly stunning, especially since I feel slightly washed out in black and white (cream? irish cream? light-light tan?). Anyhow, it's fast becoming the best $50 I've ever spent!
Today I received one of the nicest, most sincere compliments I have yet to ever hear. I went into the kitchen to put some lunch items in the fridge and get some water and a guy from my department was there. Here's pretty much how the conversation went (btw, don't read into this. he has a girlfriend and it just one of those guys who's very sincere and genuinely kind):
Jen: Good morning!
SD: Good morning!
[pause. Each of us goes about our business]
SD: By the way, I meant to compliment you on your dress the other day. I overheard some one else telling you how nice it was and I meant to tell you it as well. [paraphrased...when he said it was much nicer]
Jen: Thanks! [pause. a sort of laugh] I don't know what it is, but people really seem to like that dress.
SD: [something to the effect of it being a nice dress]
Jen: Maybe it's because I don't wear dresses often so when people see it, it really stands out to them [chattering on]
[we walk toward the door]...but, thank you.
Complimenting some one several days after the fact...now that's a compliment!
I must say that the compliments I appreciate the most come from guys who I know have no ulterior motive and who don't say it simply for the form of it. I can tell they really do mean it. I can think of only three guys (not counting my dad, of course :) Love you, Pappy!) who have this awesome skill. It's a rare skill and you probably don't even know that you have it.
So thank you to all of you wonderful gentlemen (truly gentlemen) for those times when you've notice me and you haven't had to say anything, but you do anyways.
P.S. Insincere compliments are one of the worst things ever. I really, full-heartedly dislike it when people compliment me because they know they should or they feel they ought to. Please, don't bother if you don't mean it because I can tell.
No comments:
Post a Comment