Saturday, February 6, 2010

Freedom House

"I would hurry to my place of shelter, far from the tempest and storm." - Psalm 55:8

Just got back from the benefit dinner for Freedom House. What a blessing. Freedom House was founded in 2009 in an effort to not only provide a safe place for victims of human trafficking, but to also help break the cycle that so often pulls those victims back into the trade. FH is on track to open up a home here in San Francisco in the summer of 2010. There is no such other organization or shelter in San Francisco that ministers to the needs of these people, specifically woman who have been in sex slaves. FH wants to function as a transitional home for survivors by providing shelter, counciling, ESL, life skills training, and dental/medical/legal services.At the dinner tonight there was a silent auction, a concert, several speakers, and poetry readings. The concert was three women: piano, violin, and cello. They played Tango for Piano Trio by Astor Piazolla. The last piece Invierno Porteno was absolutely lovely. Up for bidding at the silent auction were several paintings, jewelry, tickets, hotel stays, tea sets, etc, etc. There was one painting in particular that I really wish I had won, but went a little beyond my budget. It was about 4x4 feet, oil painting, was dark except for orange petals. So much motion and elegance, almost haunting really. But I was out bid. So I bid on another one which will look quite lovely in my living room. I've never bid in an auction before. I was quite nervous that I would actual win...which I did. The speakers: Senator Leland Yee of the CA Senate spoke about his involvement in working against human trafficking, the senior pastor of Dolores Park Church gave some more insight into the more spiritual side of things (and he prayed), the founder of FH shared how it all started, and another woman who is with FH spoke. As for the poetry, a woman who is a survivor of human trafficking shared a little about her experience via a poem she had written. And to end it all a woman sang Chris Tomlin's Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone).

I am touched by Freedom House. Breaking the cycle of human trafficking and the sex slave trade is tough. It's tough, but not impossible. At one point tonight I was thinking about all the hurt, guilt, anger, and all those ugly feelings that will have to be waded through. The darkness of sexual sin is very heavy. I would not blame anyone who is a survivor of human trafficking if they were to be angry at God. Can you imagine the hopelessness and sense of abandonment that people must feel? Yet, YET! As Habbakuk says, "..yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Saviour. The Sovereign LORD is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on the heights."
God can bring freedom. In Him there is life and healing and renewal.

Tonight Jeanna (who went with me) asked me how I got interested in this sort of ministry. I think the onset has been gradual but I think that it really began with going on the Global Urban Trek with InterVarsity in 2005 to Bangkok. The trip is focused on urban ministry and I spent five weeks living in one of Bangkok's largest slums. Before the trip we were given a lot of articles to read and one of them was about the sex slave trade in San Diego. Then, as Bangkok is known for incredible scale of human trafficking and sex slave trade, we took a walk through the red light district. That's one walk I'll never forget. (http://www.urbana.org/trek/june-11-righteous-anger-directed-into-prayer) Since then I've come to see just a tiny bit more about the emotional and physical bondage that holds these people back from knowing a life of freedom. I confess that I still find it hard to not get angry at the people who hold others in bondage and abuse them so horribly. But you know what? God made these people and he knows their pain. God is sovereign over this fallen, evil world. He can provide justice and true freedom. He can also bring joy and laughter to those who were hurting and crying. Our God is a mighty to save. And we mustn't forget that.

1 comment:

  1. Mm, preach. Sounds amazing. And I can't believe you actually bid at an auction. I am in awe.

    ReplyDelete