Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Crazy About Giants

Just this morning I realized that the procrastinator in me has been just a little too active...err, not active? I've actually been putting off writing a posting for several weeks. Why?! I have no idea except that perhaps my procrastinator side was feeling a bit neglected and it was needing me to pay attention to is. But I kept putting it off until today when I finally decided that I've officially been procrastinating. Now that I've acknowledged that, I can move on.

You sporty types will have been aware that San Francisco has been gripped in a passionate frenzy for the past week or so. A "passionate frenzy" is the only way to describe it. For you non-sports fans, allow me to translate: The Giants (SF baseball team) was in the World Series (like a tournament, but with only one other team). After each win there has been, what I would now call mild, celebrating. However, after the big win on Monday night things starting getting a little out of hand. There were reports that in the Mission district people were climbing stop lights, attacking cars (with and without people inside), graffitiing windows, and possibly even setting fire to things. Be comforted, only 5 or 6 people were actually arrested.

Today things were much more civilized. There was a regular ol' ticker-tape parade down Market St. with plenty of orange/white/black confetti, team members on trolleys, marching bands, fans climbing on to buses, people climbing up the sides of building to perch on unsecure concrete awnings over store fronts. You know, the usual madness of the passionate frenzy of the masses. Allow me to give you a small glimpse at what Market and Third looked like around 11 am this morning:
Believe it or not, two of my co-workers are actually standing on the bus.

I have to admit that I went to the parade out of pure curiosity. Just like I watched the 1st and 2nd game of the series. I am no fair-weather fan, nor an authentic fan, so while we're being honest I'll also tell you that I couldn't handle watching the last several games. Really. I was on baseball overload and I knew that if I watched more I might begin to mock the players, the sport, the national pasttime, etc. in an effort to save my sanity and to my own detriment. (Seriously, it wouldn't be safe to voice any relative anti-Giants opinion.) While I'm in the mood to confess, I'll also say that I'm glad the Giants have won and the crazy atmosphere has been somewhat exciting (albeit I am not terribly emotional). Let me just say this: how I wish it was the World Cup! Now that's my idea of something to get fanatic about.

And why on earth is it called the "World" series when:
1. the world isn't involved. it's national. (though apparently a Canadian team may or may not have participated at one time)
2. there are only two teams that play in a series.

1 comment:

  1. Hah! The 'world' in "World series" has always bothered me as well! I mean seriously, it just makes it seem like we Americanos think we ARE the world. . .
    Glad you're surviving the craziness. =)

    ReplyDelete