Monday, November 15, 2010

having a ball in ballroom

Isn't dancing wonderful? I just got back from another ballroom class and I wouldn't stop dancing only my knee is hurting a bit, my calves are tired, and I haven't had dinner yet. Tonight we started out with chachacha, went into waltz, worked on 4-count foxtrot, and started into (what the teacher called) the triple Lindy. Talk about fun times! This was a really good night because the teacher hardly stopped to lecture about how no one practices and none of the super awkward leaders were there tonight. I got to dance with all my favorites. There's M who is very earnest and us all laugh. There's G who stays in the zone and has become a decently strong lead as the semester has progressed. There's E who's all Latino, is the most natural with tango and Chachacha, and makes me laugh. (I'm also not going to lie: he's the perfect height for me to dance with, which is such a relief since there's only 2 other leaders who are my height. I don't have to duck down quite so much.) Then there's that older silent Asian man who is wonderful at waltz and foxtrot. I hardly have to think when I'm dancing with him because I can trust that he's on the beat and he knows how to lead. He's not as fun as M, G, and E; but I still enjoy dancing with him.

Isn't it fun how dancing can bring out such different personalities? Some people are serious while others have a sense of humor. It's been fun to see how some of the leaders have really grown over the semester. They started out so tentative and gave weak (or non-existant) signals, now they're confident (mostly) and I don't have to think as much when I dance. I just follow them and revel in the delight of dancing.

I know this may seem rather boring to read in black and tan (is my blog tan or beige), but ... I wish that somehow I could describe just how much I love to ballroom dance. Just the delight of it. And how it's therapeutic, somehow. Anyhow, I'll stop before I begin to rhapsodize. You should learn a little waltz or a little 4 count foxtrot. You never know when it may come in handy.

1 comment:

  1. One day I really must learn . . . the Lindy looks like tons of fun. Do you think I have any chance of convincing Adam to take classes with me at some point? =) Hmmmm . . . maybe in 20 more years.

    ReplyDelete