Saturday, November 20, 2010

The Great Experiment


It was Saturday night and the rain was coming down in torrents. Thunder and lightening. The rain seemed like it was going to come through the windows at any moment. Both my roommates were gone --- one was at the opera, the other somewhere in Europe. I was home alone and there was a pumpkin that needed to be disposed of.

[insert lightening, follow with clap of rumbling thunder. windows shake. gradually increase doomsday music.]

I grabbed a knife, cutting board, hoard of spices, and my apron. I put the iPod on shuffle and got to work.
it may not be a good idea to have a knife in hand when i have that wild look in my eyes.

the carnage

After de-skinning and chopping I then had to decide what I was actually going to do with it. Let's stick with something simple, with a hint of coziness. Spices! For spice I had thought I'd start with a symphony and work my way down to a chamber concert.

What you see before you is curry, coriander, cinnamon, cayenne, cardamom (noticing a theme here?) and a few others to round things out a bit. I ended up with a mixture that was mostly curry, even amounts of cayenne and coriander, a dash of cinnamon, a modicum of paprika, and a dose of garlic powder. Everything that's cozy and warm.

I tossed the pumpkin with the spices, spread olive oil in a pan and stuck in the oven to roast and await what tastiness might pour forth from this culinary undertaking.
*Ding!*

I dished it up and had a taste...
Hmmm. Hmmm. Too much coriander and needs a bit of creaminess. The flesh of the pumkin is a bit too...light. But nonetheless! I do feel as though I'm on to something! It wasn't called The Great Experiment for nothin'.

1 comment:

  1. Fun! A night time cooking experiment during a storm--it sounds so epic. And you do really have a wild look in your eyes in that picture. It made me laugh. =)

    ReplyDelete