It all started Saturday night when I headed across the bay to meet up with Odalis. Since we had to be at the event at 6:30 am Odalis had kindly offered to let me spend the night at her place. We were going to carb it up and get a good night's rest. But as so often happens with the best of plans they are quickly thrown to the wind, tossed aside, and any other proverbial way of saying that what we planned did not occur. It's all about alternate universes.
Forgive me. I watched that Star Trek movie last night. And I may start speaking Klingon next week.
Maybe not.
Anyhow. See, the trouble all began when it threatened to rain. No wait. It actually began when we remembered that Fentons wouldn't be open until loooong after the race was over. What's Fentons? I'm glad you asked!
Fentons is a well-known Oakland ice cream shop and diner. It's an Oakland tradition and Bay Area favorite. I had heard of it before, but only had a vague idea of it's crazy amazingness. Well, Odalis suggested that we go there for dinner, so as not to miss a perfectly golden opportunity to go to Fentons. things might have taken a turn for the worse when I ordered a tuna melt on rye. (Quite delish.) Then I ordered dessert.
Here's Odalis with her Fudgeanna.
And this my friends is called Cookie Connection. CC meet 5K. 5K meet CC. Now Jen say goodbye to having a chance at running a good time.
I was determined to win, but the ice cream monster won out in the end and I could only kill off about 50%. After ice cream we made the next bad decision and decided to watch that new Star Trek movie. I now understand things soo much better! I finally get the whole "Beam me up, Scotty!" reference and all that jazz. Although my comprehension of pop culture (trekkie culture?) and now increased, my chances of a good night's rest were much lower. Especially since we went to bed at 11:45 pm. Oops.

We made it to the starting line and through the 80s styled warm-up. We also met up with Yvonne. We walked. We ran. We chatted and generally had a good time. We sprinted at the end and then we got champagne and chocolate. I like these 5K thingies. I think they're a good idea.
After the race and enjoying the expo, we were in need of some decent breakfast food and so headed to the Little House Cafe in Alameda. Very cute. Excellent breakfast items and generous portions of hot chocolate.
Odalis showed of her tatoo that stated she ran for chocolates and champagne.
After breakfast we might have gone back to Fentons. For the 2nd time in less then 24 hours. Needless to say, I only got a petite dish of ice cream. I think I'm good for the next couple weeks without ice cream.
Guess what Yvonne got:
Hahaha! This is awesome. The vision of all those treats almost makes me want to run a 5K (to justify the ice cream) . . . but only 'almost' (that's the key word =).
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you blogged about this. That was a totally awesome day. We have to do it again, but not the day before the next race. Thanks for helping relive the experience.
ReplyDelete