Sunday, June 26, 2011

My tomato plant the mystical sea creature

Remember my talking about the two tomatoes that Cora and I managed to wrangle out of our tomato plant last year? Cora and I were first of all amazed at how fast it grew and second of all wowed by the deliciousness of the two tomatoes we harvested last September. Well, as life goes we might have, um, forgotten to water the poor guy here and there. We laid his shriveled remains to rest in the compost sometime in the late fall. Or it may have been December. I can't remember. Clearly I wasn't too traumatized by the event.

Anyhow, I decided to take another stab at tomato growing and this time with a bigger pot. Seeing as how the last plant grew so well in a tiny pot, then surely a new one would thrive in large pot. I got the pot in December, along with a bag of potting soil, and picked up a $3 plant at the Alemany Farmers' Market in April. I threw it all together and check out what we've got:
We no longer just have a tomato plant here, folks. We've got a monster. And it's taken over our back porch. It holds the ironing board ransomed. I've managed to get the mop in and out, but it's got it's beady little tomatoes eyes on it.

Maybe I should go rescue the mop. Before it's too late.

Hold on a sec...


Okay, you can all rest easy. I've got the mop in hand, but I had to leave the bucket behind.


I've been contemplating the fact that every monster needs a name. How 'bout "George"? It's got a certain ring to it, don't ya think? Try it on for size: George, the tomato plant. George, the monster tomato plant. Have you met my tomato plant, George, yet?

Or how about naming it after some sort of mystical sea creature? And this is my tomato plant, Leviathan. Leviathan, say hello. He's a bit shy until he gets to know you. Let's see, there's also "Kraken," but it has no zip to it. There's the "Loch Ness Monster," which can be fondly shortened to "Nessie". That doesn't sound right either. A little too much on the cutesy side. I think I'm settling with George.


George, my mystical tomato sea plant creature.

2 comments:

  1. George . . . I like it. Especially when you tack on the 'monster tomato plant' part. And I love the smell of a tomato vine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez Jen, those pictures are great

    ReplyDelete