A view of Edinburgh Castle from my hotel room
In the first week of April 2011 I met up with Mom and Dad in Edinburgh, Scotland. Before Mom and Dad got there I explored Calton Hill, the National Portrait Gallery, The Museum of Scotland, the Princes Street Gardens, and did a lot of walking around the Royal Mile. Upon Mom and Dad's arrival we headed out to the Elephant House for pies and mash, via the Grass Market and the statue ofGreyfriar's Bobby. We explored St. giles Cathedral and Jon Knox house. The next day we took a 12 hour tour up into the Highlands. We saw Loch Lomond, Loch Ness, We caught a glance of the castle used by Monty Python in The Search for the Holy Grail. We visited Glen Coe and saw the castle where Mary, Queen of Scots was born. We might have caught a glimpse of Nessie, but were unable to catch that on film. Did you know there is cannibalistic trout that live in Loch Ness? We heard about lots of famous Scots: Sir Walter Scot, Robert Louis Stevenson, Arthur Conan Doyle, and Sean Connery. We heard how Dad's ancestors defeated a raid by Mom's ancestors thanks to the Scottish thistle. We saw countless nummbers of rainbows everywhere. Before heading to Edinburgh Castle the following day, amid driving winds and rain, we stopped by our favorite breakfast spot owned by a jovial Italian. We ran all about the castle and Mom met some prestigious military personnel by chance. Afterwards we wandered down a wee close to Forsythe's tea Room. The next day Mom and I trotted down the Royal Mile to The People's Story and the Old Tollbooth. When I was on my own once again I took another run through the gardens, checked out a couple shops, the Writer's Museum, and Arm Chair Books (amazing!). Good times had by all
Calton Hill was the #1 "must see" on my list...not sure why. But I loved it!We took a tour up into the Highlands one day.
.
Arm Chair Books was a second hand book shop and is THE best book store of my life.
WHAT FUN! I find it especially that funny that your mom's ancestors and your dad's ancestors were involved in a skirmish. Hah!
ReplyDeleteIsn't a bit of fun history? We were rather amused...especially Dad.
ReplyDeleteSo Jen, with your ancestors "at each other" do you face internal conflict??
ReplyDelete