I'm talking about the moment where you're walking down the hall at work and you almost start skipping, but then you remember that you need to act professional. I have those moments. Quite often. Is that weird? Does anyone else experience that?
It's not just a desire or a passing fancy to skip down the hall or see if you can do a cartwheel in that tight space. I'm talking about a wild urge that you have to rein in with all your strength and suppress before your body starts following through on the action. Usually when I have those moments it's just the urge to turn a cartwheel or cheer for the Cardinals when they're playing the Giants at AT&T Park. (Which I would NOT advise as Giants fans are, well, rather fanatical and have become more so since they won the World Series.) Today I felt the urge to start skipping in the hallway at work. I really almost did, but I caught myself before my foot started to push off the ground. What on earth would work people think of me? I positively scandalize myself sometimes. I guess that urge is not as bad as the one I felt when I saw a hammer lying on a glass table top or when the flight attendant actually put on an uninflated life vest right next to me. The tab to inflate it was dangling less than 10 inches from my hand. Have a mentioned that I've always had a strong desire to inflate one of those things? Somehow I don't think the air marshal would approve.
I still think about that hammer lying on the glass table top. I'm incredibly curious to see what would have happened to the table if I had picked it up and....well, maybe we'd better not follow through on that fantasy.
I guess I have a huge advantage working in an office mostly by myself--because I CAN act unprofessional and I love it! I can wander barefoot, sing or hum, slouch (even skip, though I don't usually get that particular impulse) . . . it's great. But I remember what it was like at previous jobs to have to maintain that professional appearance and the little charade of having it all together (ugh). I say--skip if you want to! =)
ReplyDelete